Please donate today! www.bmycharity.com/dambusters2012

If you support our troops and like what we are doing please donate on-line today at www.bmycharity.com/dambusters2012 Thank you.

Friday 19 October 2012

Some reflections on Dambusters2012 for Help for Heroes.

As I write this I feel a mixture of sadness and also of excitement. The two Help for Heroes Teddy Bears which were flown on combat operations for Dambusters2012 by the wonderful people at 617 sqdn during their recent tour of operations in Afghanistan sit quietly on top of the bookcase in my study.
The two bears are both to be sold in the auction at the Birmingham Help for Heroes Ball on 3rd November which is a good thing. Every penny they sell for will go to Help for Heroes which is the sole reason Dambusters2012 exists at all. That's where the excitement comes from. How much will they sell for? Will it meet expectations? They are unique, irreplaceable .... please, please let them sell for shedloads. It is such a worthy cause. www.bmycharity.com/dambusters2012
Then there is the sadness. I have grown strangely attached to having the bears looking down at me, knowing where they have been and what a privilege it has been for me to even in some small way to have had the support of the most famous bomber squadron of them all, 617 Sqdn, the Dambusters!
Amongst 617 Sqdn I have had the honour to work closely with two men in particular:
Flt Sgt Paul Peden, soon to be promoted to Warrant Officer for his last posting before a richly deserved retirement.
... and also Sqdn Ldr Tom Hill who was kind enough to give up his time to meet us and original Dambuster George 'Johnny' Johnson DFM for a photoshoot at the Rolls Royce Heritage Centre at Filton.
I don't really want to part with the Bears at all ... but know I have to let them go or bid for them fair and square in the auction ... and I know I do not have pockets deep enough for that. I exchanged emails with the auctioneer today. I know the end of my time with the bears is coming and a small chapter of my life is ending at the same time.  The help for Heroes ball on 3rd November will mark the end of Dambusters2012.

People who know me will recognise that I do not stay 'down' for long. My glass has always been slightly more than half full - and in truth so it is today.

Dambusters2013 was approved as an event support Help for Heroes in 2013! Here we go again, only bigger, better and more exciting. 617 sqdn are on board again, as is my good friend and rider Victor Chevens! Both the events I have done for Help for Heroes have been done with Victor - he is a top bloke and a great man to have on this kind of a project!


There are new partners too. Craig Carey-Clinch of Rowan Public Affairs and Al Hunter of Network XP Consultancy   .... and our ambitions are high. You ready for what's coming?? I hope so .... I know I am raring to get started again!
www.dambusters2013.org.uk is coming so get ready for the ride, the "70th Anniversary Dambusters Ride for Help for Heroes".

No comments:

Post a Comment